[time-nuts] eLORAN will be on the air GRI 99600

Forrest Christian (List Account) lists at packetflux.com
Thu Aug 6 23:28:33 UTC 2020

If you look at generally-available GNSS PNT solutions, you'll find a few
failure modes:

1) Loss of a satellite (or two).   This is why the constellations have more
satellites than is strictly necessary, so not a big deal.

2) Loss of control/failure in the control system/constellation wide
software failure, aka the recent Galileo failure.   This is why you have
multiple GNSS constellations.

3) Ground based interference (jamming, spoofing), etc.    This is why you
need a terrestrial backup, which doesn't really exist.

For timing, I wouldn't be opposed to someone flying (or adding a payload
to) a couple of geostationary satellites which live in a separate band from
GNSS.  It would be interesting to be able to put up a small satellite dish
and get a highly reliable and hard to interfere with timing alternative to
GNSS.    I know there are two way time transfer options out there, I'm more
thinking basically a fixed-location cesium clock in the sky.

But, a good quality terrestrial option would be useful too.

- Forrest