[time-nuts] eLORAN will be on the air GRI 99600

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Aug 7 00:17:33 UTC 2020

jimlux at earthlink.net said:
> Transit?
> I don't believe they are still operational, though.

Wikipedia says first operational satellite navigation system.
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transit_(satellite)

Some/mot of the GPS history talks/articles give credit to it.

They had a portable receiver -- small enough to ship as excess baggage.  The
wiki page has a neat section on using it to measure ice sheet drift in
Antarctica.

-------

I think there was timing via GEOS.  I seem to remember discussions of various
hardware boxes becoming useless when it was turned off but I can't find any of
the drivers I expect.  Maybe I'm confusing it with something else.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.