[time-nuts] eLORAN in the Antipodes ? (was: Re: eLORAN will be on the air GRI 99600)

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Aug 9 13:33:15 UTC 2020

Hi

The main point is: If you are looking at a VLF system, phase matters a lot. If your
objective is a 100 ns @ 1 second sort of accuracy, you need a very stable phase.
At 100 KHz, you are looking at 3.6 degrees of phase shift. Go down to 60 KHz and
you are right at 2 degrees. Head to Omega sort of frequencies and it just gets worse.

If you are trying to be “as good as” GPS / GNSS, this is still an order of magnitude (or more)
away from the goal ….

Since fairly normal propagation effects can get you into  “which cycle am I on?”, antenna
effects are *not* the dominant issue. Toss in things like skywave and …. yikes ….

Bob