[time-nuts] eLORAN will be on air GRI 99600

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Fri Aug 7 21:48:03 UTC 2020

John,

It's common to see either 4 or 5 digit numbering, where "chain 9940" and
"GRI of 99400 µs" are equivalent. The former is short-hand; the latter
uses proper SI units. If that looks odd, see some GRI examples:

"FS700 LORAN-C frequency standard"
https://www.thinksrs.com/downloads/PDFs/Catalog/FS700c.pdf

"New Life for LORAN" (2004)
https://www.loran-history.info/George/George-Appel-New-Life-for-Loran-1.pdf
https://www.loran-history.info/George/George-Appel-New-Life-for-Loran-2.pdf

A funny quote from the document above is:

 > The entire process repeats over again in what is called the Group
Repetition Interval (GRI).
 > To confuse novices to LORAN terminology, the GRI is given in tens of
microseconds.
 > Thus, a GRI of 99,400 microseconds is known as "LORAN rate 9,940."
 > It is the GRI that the LORAN receiver uses to identify the chain to
which it's locked on.

More examples:

"Loran-C and Loran-D Systems or Radio Navigation" (1972)
<https://media.defense.gov/2017/Jul/03/2001772426/-1/-1/0/1972_LORAN-C&LORAN-DENGINEERINGRPT.PDF>
See table 1 on page 9.

"Timing With LORAN-C"
https://www.febo.com/time-freq/loran/index.html

"Austron 2100F Loran-C Frequency Monitor"
http://www.leapsecond.com/museum/au2100f/scope.htm

/tvb