[time-nuts] Satelles PNT from Iridium satellites

Taka Kamiya tkamiya9 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 10 01:33:07 UTC 2020

I've done some quick research.  I do not see timing as one of the services provided.  I wonder if it can be achieved by just listening into what's already transmitted (like GPS) and do some math on our side.

On more broader sense, was GPS originally designed to provide timing service?  Or is it a byproduct of needing to measure location and speed, thus it needed a constant signal, and that using it to sync reference signal is just an ancillary and after-thought use cases?

---------------------------------------
(Mr.) Taka Kamiya
KB4EMF / ex JF2DKG

    On Sunday, August 9, 2020, 9:21:23 PM EDT, Bob kb8tq <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote:

 Hi

> On Aug 9, 2020, at 7:03 PM, Tom Van Baak <tvb at LeapSecond.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Stu,
>
> There's no problem with a semi-commercial posting here. You've been a member for a decade and frequent contributor plus the subject matter is exactly on-topic. So thanks for posting.
>
> I spent a while on your web site and didn't uncover a trove of white papers. If you could post some URL's that would be appreciated. You don't have to worry about being less accurate than GPS. I mean, there are often far more important factors than nanosecond precision.

To that point ( as accurate as GPS ) ….. GPS is simply a convent comparison system. Saying that
this or that is better or worse at this or that tau is *not* the same as saying it has more or less value.
It’s simply a system that is out there to be compared to.

Bob