[time-nuts] Satelles PNT from Iridium satellites

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Mon Aug 10 03:41:12 UTC 2020

Hi  Taka,

 > On more broader sense, was GPS originally designed to provide timing
service?

Yes, from the beginning GPS was a so-called PNT (Positioning, Navigation
and Timing) system.

 > Or is it a byproduct of needing to measure location and speed, thus it
 > needed a constant signal, and that using it to sync reference signal
 > is just an ancillary and after-thought use cases?

Precise timing is not so much a by-product but the key feature that
makes GPS work.

Here's some reading, with an emphasis on the early history and design of
GPS:

"TIMATION - a GPS Predecessor Program"
https://directory.eoportal.org/web/eoportal/satellite-missions/t/timation

"Pre GPS History of Satellite Navigation", Francis M. Czopek
https://web.stanford.edu/group/scpnt/pnt/PNT08/Presentations/2_Czopek_PNT_2008.pdf

"True Origins and Major Original Challenges for GPS Success (1962 –
1978)", Brad Parkinson
https://web.stanford.edu/group/scpnt/pnt/PNT09/presentation_slides/13_Parkinson_Creating_GPS.pdf

"Launching the Brick Moon: GPS’ path from the Space Race to Smartphone",
Aaron Lovell
https://www.wilsonquarterly.com/quarterly/summer-2015-an-age-of-connectivity/launching-the-brick-moon-gps-path-from-the-space-race-to-smartphone/

"GPS Declassified: From Smart Bombs to Smartphones", Richard Easton
http://www.gpsdeclassified.com

"The Origins of GPS", Stephen T. Powers, Brad Parkinson
Article published in May & June 2010 issues of GPS World
https://www.u-blox.com/sites/default/files/the_origins_of_gps.pdf

"Initial Results of the NAVSTAR GPS NTS-2 Satellite", James A Buisson,
Roger L. Easton, Thomas B. McCaskill
"General Relativity in the Global Positioning System", Neil Ashby
http://www.leapsecond.com/history/Ashby-Relativity.htm

/tvb