[time-nuts] Query about 4060

AC0XU (Jim) James.Schatzman at ac0xu.com
Thu Aug 13 01:35:49 UTC 2020

Time-nuts-

It has been a couple of years since I last worked on a 4060 so I have forgotten some of the details. Can someone remind me?

Operating the device in manual mode, I can adjust beam gain so that I get a reading. However, ramping the control voltage over its range (which does sweep the output below and above 10 MHz), the gain needle hardly moves on the front panel. Measuring  with a DVM on test point E26, it does seem that the voltage increases a bit as I tune through 10 MHz, but the voltage seems a bit unstable, and the unit won't lock up automatically.

I am going to check the power supply for open capacitors next.

Is there anything else I should be checking towards diagnosing the problem?

Thanks in advance-

Jim