[time-nuts] ! PPS Source

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Mon Aug 17 22:41:58 UTC 2020

Ed,

Good work digging deep into that. I remember hearing about someone
playing with the Oncore oscillator. It was Robin Giffard, one of the key
architects behind the hp SmartClock series (58503A, Z3801A, etc.). A
copy of his paper:

"Estimation of GPS Ionospheric Delay Using L1 Code and Carrier Phase
Observables"
https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/ADA497270.pdf

You'll see the Motorola Oncore VP mentioned in several places. He used a
5061B and a simple M/N PLL to give 3590 / 188 MHz = 19.0957 MHz.

I don't recall any other papers describing a similar experiment. In that
era the Oncore VP was one of the favorite timing receivers. You would
think if there was any merit to the clock hack then lots of people or
products would do it. But AFAIK, none did, not even hp. All of these
GPSDO had microprocessors and TIC onboard so using the GPS receiver
generated sawtooth correction message is all they needed.

/tvb