[time-nuts] Fwd: Re: WWVB SDR discussion

Larry McDavid lmcdavid at lmceng.com
Fri Aug 21 23:59:38 UTC 2020

I also have two of these La Crosse Ultratomic BPSK WWVB clocks. Upon
installation of two "C" cells, both clocks synchronized to WWVB within 5
minutes.

I tested this several times with the clocks in various locations well
inside my home; that is significant because after installation of
radiant barrier thermal roof insulation none of my AM "atomic" clocks
would synchronize even overnight until I moved them to (the inside of)
outside walls.

The claim is that the BPSK demodulation is 100 times more sensitive than
AM; it is at least enough more sensitive to work quickly any time of day
here in southern California. I consider that a great improvement and am
disappointed no other BPSK clock products have appeared.

One of the two Ultratomic clocks' second hand is perhaps 1/4 of a hand
width off the marked ticks but I have not found that too awful; the
other clock hands seem right on.

I was unaware of the "greatbigoutlet" eBay seller but I see they have a
very extensive store of La Crosse products so it is likely a company
store. The prices and free shipping make it attractive.

I also have two Heathkit Most Accurate WWV clocks and a Tindie Geppetto
Electronics GPS Clock. Even at 8X slow-motion video, it is interesting
to see the tenth-second digits on all these clocks roll over at the same
visual instant! An old line-powered LED digital clock now looses or
gains as much as 20 seconds a week as the power companies no longer
maintain accuracy of the 60 Hz line frequency.

I have posted the 8X-speed video showing the several clocks on the
HeathkitClocks Group website in my personal Files Album. You do need to
be a member of that Group to access that Files Album.

Larry

--
Best wishes,

Larry McDavid W6FUB
Anaheim, California  (SE of Los Angeles, near Disneyland)