[time-nuts] trimble thunderbolt has no satellites

jan.catrysse at gmail.com jan.catrysse at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 07:51:43 UTC 2020

Hello,

I am new to this, so advice is welcome.

I had a Trimble thunderbolt running the whole summer and when checking
today, it seems I lost satellite tracking.

But I don't know what is wrong or how to diagnose it. I tried a power cycle
and factory reset.

In the thunderbolt monitor
1. all alarms are green.
2. signal levels (SV and AMU) are all empty with a question mark.
3. I seem to get an accurate time.
4. the timing outputs seem be ok and quite stable, nothing compared to a
first start.
5. I get a GPS position.
6. RCVR mode = (7) Overdet. Clock (time)
7. GPS status = (0) Doing fixes

It seems the time is getting in, but no satellite fixes.
I checked the bias of the antenna, it was about 5 volts.

What could be wrong? Or how could I check it further?

The GPS antenna is about 5 meters from the house but only about 50cm from
the ground. Could this be seasonal? Is my house blocking the signal this
time of year?

I added some screenshots on the EEVBlog forum:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/trimble-thunderbolt-nu-satellites-12
8752/new/#new

I'm a bit lost to be frank.

Thank you.