[time-nuts] trimble thunderbolt has no satellites

Chris Caudle 6807.chris at pop.powweb.com
Thu Dec 3 18:43:08 UTC 2020

On 2020-12-03 01:51, jan.catrysse at gmail.com wrote:
> I had a Trimble thunderbolt running the whole summer and when checking
> today, it seems I lost satellite tracking.

It is worth trying a different antenna.  The lack of antenna alarm in
the monitor program indicates that the amplifier in the antenna has not
failed completely, at least not in a way that causes it to stop drawing
current, or draw too much current, but lack of satellites tracked would
seem to indicate something in the front end RF chain.  Antenna is the
easiest to check.  If not the antenna then possibly the front end RF
amplifier was damaged, but I've never looked into how difficult that
would be to change.  Hopefully just a damaged antenna from a summer
thunderstorm or similar.

-- Chris Caudle