[time-nuts] HP 5065 Rb update

Dana Whitlow k8yumdoober at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 00:35:56 UTC 2020

Rheostats are not necessarily stable because the current is 1st-order
dependent
on the contact resistance.

I had missed the part about the nearby lightning strike.  Could it be that
the mu-metal
shielding got partly magnetized by the high current pulse of the
lightning?  If so, there
ought to be some stability benefit from performing a degaussing operation.
If not
degaussed, the magnetization of the mu-metal will likely change over time
due to
physical knocks, changes in orientation of the Rb in the Earth's field,
temperature
changes, etc, all of which will make the Rb less stable than it could be.

Dana