[time-nuts] HP 5065 Rb update

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Dec 8 01:48:54 UTC 2020

Hi

Since the magnetic “response” of the field around the physics package is
non-linear, reversing the field on a package with magnetized mu metal
*should* produce a delta frequency.

More or less:

	C field at 4 ma is +0.10 gauss ( no it’s not, but you need a number here …)
	Mag of the mu metal is +0.15 gauss ( it’s the ratio that matters ….)

So starting out you get 0.15 + 0.10 = 0.25 gauss

Reverse the field and you get 0.15 - 0.1 = 0.05 gauss

If there *is* a significant static field, ( = enough to shift things out of pot range),
then you should see a very significant frequency shift when you reverse the
C Field current.

For all the fun with math that backs this up see:

http://www.wriley.com/Rubidium%20Frequency%20Standard%20Primer%20102211.pdf <http://www.wriley.com/Rubidium%20Frequency%20Standard%20Primer%20102211.pdf>

Figure 36 on page 46 gives you a rough idea of what’s going on. There is more
detail in the text.

Bob