[time-nuts] Repair for HP 5071A Cesium Clock

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Dec 17 00:32:26 UTC 2020

Hi

The usual “best guess” is that the tube has reached end of life. The answer is to send it back
to Beverly MA. They will replace the tube and re-adjust the device to work with that tube.  The
process involves getting a “shipping kit” from them. The device goes back in that box and does
so as hazmat via FedEx. Entering a package like that into the FedEx system involves a person
with special training doing the entry. (At least that was the case when I last sent one back).
Needless to say it’s a hassle.

Cost typically has been 40 to 50% of the price of a new device. It was ~40K a decade ago. If
the “new price” is now $95K, it may well be up to around $50K by now.

Needless to say, that’s a lot ….

Bob