[time-nuts] Examples of traditional phase noise analyzers

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Thu Dec 17 11:02:40 UTC 2020

Good afternoon,

In the process of writing my thesis I stumbled over the problem
that the definition of what phase noise is in IEEE 1139 is a bit
confusing, to put it mildly. After a short discussion with
Magnus, it seems clear to me that I need to have a better
understanding of how phase noise measurement was done in the
past to properly understand what the standard means to say.

I think, I have a decent grasp on how modern phase noise analyzer
work, safe for a few details here and there, where they seem to
try to mimic what the old analog analyzers did.

Before I go on a wild goose chace, I thought I ask here for
advice: Could you point me at as detailed as possible descriptions
on how phase noise analyzers used to work in the purely analog
times? Preferably also as many different approaches as possible.
And, if you are aware of anything that I should have a look at
that might not be obvious to a youngster like me, I would very
much appreciate if you would let me know.

Thanks in advance

			Attila Kinali

--
The driving force behind research is the question: "Why?"
There are things we don't understand and things we always