[time-nuts] Rebroadcasting time signals [WAS: La Crosse Clocks - ]

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Sun Dec 27 06:45:47 UTC 2020

Hal wrote:

> Transmitting on the same frequency you are receiving on seems like asking for
> troubles.

Difficult perhaps, but not impossible.  As /tvb notes, one solution is
time domain multiplexing; and, as Alex says, phase domain multiplexing
is another (although the phase discrimination of 60kHz antennas this
size is problematic).  There are others.

> How far apart would the antennas have to be?  How would you calculate that
> distance?  Or what is the right question?

I've watched discussions of this topic for several years, and have
always been surprised that nobody has ever once mentioned the potential
for harmful interference extending beyond one's own property.  (Tom
mentioned it today, including the possibility of legal implications.)
This is especially true of people, like some on this list, who
reportedly run a big loop around their house ("so that all their WWVB
clocks can hear it").  But really, any scheme with leakage can (and
likely does) create harmful interference beyond your property.

I can say positively that if anyone who has such a system lived down the
block from me, I would be most unhappy about it and would be in a very
foul mood by the time I figured out what was causing the interference I
was receiving.  (I know whereof I speak -- I spent quite a lot of effort
a few years ago chasing down a leaking 10MHz reference of very dubious
quality in use by a local ham nearly a kilometer from me.)

So, please, if you are going to rebroadcast a time signal to your
receivers, make sure the modulator and RF generator are in
well-RF-sealed enclosures and that you use good coax (or, preferably,
triax) to send the signal to each receiver individually.  BTW, this
applies to *any* such signal, not just LF but HF and GNSS rebroadcasters
as well.

Best regards,

Charles