[time-nuts] low power divide by 5

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 1 01:06:05 UTC 2020

On 6/30/20 5:04 PM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:

> On 6/30/2020 3:47 PM, dschuecker wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> a divide by five should possible with a synchronous state-machine made
>> of 3 ( sufficiently fast-) JK-FlipFlops.
>>
>> All 3 FFs are clocked with the input freq. , the outputs of the FFs
>> are fed back to the the JK-inputs,  the divided freq. is output of one
>> of the FFs.
>>

>> Detlef
>>

> Nice ideas, but JK flip flops seem to have become extinct in
> newer logic families.
>
> It might be interesting to see what could be done
> using one of those programmable logic devices (PLD).

Oddly, those too are hard to find.. The venerable 22V10 (which I used in
the 1980s) is still available (as the ATF22V10 from Microchip/semi),
targeting the military market (probably to "build to print" stuff
designed in the 80s and 90s)

But it's interesting - lots of 20k gate FPGAs and such, not so many
"dozen flip flops and 2 dozen gates" devices.