[time-nuts] low power divide by 5

Gerhard Hoffmann ghf at hoffmann-hochfrequenz.de
Wed Jul 1 07:22:07 UTC 2020

Am 01.07.20 um 03:04 schrieb Hal Murray:
>> What logic family might be appropriate for a divide by 5 from 50 to 10MHz,
>> low power, running off 3.3 or 5V?
> How important is the "low" power?  Do you have other logic/CPU around?
>
> Do you need 50/50 duty cycle (or close) or is 20/80 OK?
>
> How about a CPU with a counter/timer block setup to divide by 5 and the CPU
> sleeping (if it doesn't have anything else to do)?
>
> What is available in the small FPGA or PAL space?
In the divide-by-81 thread I have proposed a Xilinx Coolrunner, with
VHDL code, and a link to a prefabricated Chinese board. Just replace
the 81 by 5 and choose the new On/Off ratio.

<
https://www.digikey.de/product-detail/de/xilinx-inc/XC2C64A-5VQG44C/122-1420-ND/966601

Prices are slowly rising, that's Xilinx' way of saying: we don't like it
anymore,
but we usually don't obsolete anything.
I'm just doing a custom reciprocal frequency counter with SPI interface
in one,
and my crystal oven infrastructure board uses such a 2C64 for its 1pps
generator
and switchable direction 2FF phase detector. You can do a lot of things
with just 64

flipflops. It's weird, but Coolrunner Flipflops can act on both rising
and falling

clock edge if required.

> Much modern logic is aimed at the high speed market which usually means thin
> oxide which leaks.  I'm pretty sure I've seen some FPGA/PAL families that are
> old but still very active just because their idle power is very low - the last
> family before things started to leak.
When it was new, Xilinx demonstrated the Coolrunner with a battery
made from 3 apples or oranges and some wire.