[time-nuts] low power divide by 5

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Jul 2 18:34:15 UTC 2020

> Funny, just yesterday I was looking at the design of a laboratory cesium
> beam standard from 1963. Sorry, there's no divide-by-5 example in there.  But
> the attached images show the 108x multiplier (8.5 MHz to 9180 MHz).  Sure
> enough, spot the 12AX7 and 6J6 tubes in use...

Neat.  Thanks.

Interesting.  I'd expect transistors to be in use by 1963.

When did tubes die out?

How fast were transistors back then?  How fast could you toggle a 12AX7?

Wikipedia says the first 7090 was installed Dec 1959.  The core memory cycled
at 2 microseconds.

Was 9180 MHz fast enough that it required a tube so it was simpler to use
tubes on the rest of the logic?

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.