[time-nuts] low power divide by 5

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Jul 2 21:14:18 UTC 2020

Hi

> On Jul 2, 2020, at 2:34 PM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:
>

>> Funny, just yesterday I was looking at the design of a laboratory cesium
>> beam standard from 1963. Sorry, there's no divide-by-5 example in there.  But
>> the attached images show the 108x multiplier (8.5 MHz to 9180 MHz).  Sure
>> enough, spot the 12AX7 and 6J6 tubes in use...
>
> Neat.  Thanks.
>
> Interesting.  I'd expect transistors to be in use by 1963.

Some at low frequency, not a lot for high speed in production gear. A bit faster in
terms of one of a kind lab devices.

> When did tubes die out?

They have yet to die out ….. :)

> How fast were transistors back then?

The typical germanium transistor of the day was lucky to have an Ft rated in MHz
(yes a slight exaggeration)

>  How fast could you toggle a 12AX7?

Depends on how fancy you wanted to get …. 10 MHz to 100 MHz.

Bob