[time-nuts] low power divide by 5

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 2 18:49:18 UTC 2020

On 7/2/20 6:48 AM, Tom Van Baak wrote:
>  > I'm surprised nobody has suggested using the 12AX7 or 6J6 dual triodes.
>
> Jim,
>
> Funny, just yesterday I was looking at the design of a laboratory cesium
> beam standard from 1963. Sorry, there's no divide-by-5 example in there.
> But the attached images show the 108x multiplier (8.5 MHz to 9180 MHz).
> Sure enough, spot the 12AX7 and 6J6 tubes in use...
>
> /tvb

Yeah, but I think those are multipliers, not dividers.

So then, what shall we call it. PICDIV draws from the PIC.  Next thing
from TAPR,  catering to the retropunk style, will be a TUBEDIV or EJDIV
(Eccles-Jordan homage) - what better to drive your nixie (or stacked
neon bulb) display than a 19" rack full of modules.

I'm sure if one looks at pictures from WW 2 era, there's plenty of this
around.

If I didn't have many other projects going, that might be a cool one.
Lots of folks have binary clocks on their desks at work, but they're LED
and solid state.  A few have Nixie clocks, but solid state driven.