[time-nuts] low power divide by 5

Peter McCollum saipan1959 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 21:13:04 UTC 2020

Another way to achieve divide-by-N is with a non-retriggerable one-shot,
adjusted to the appropriate time value.
Back in the 40's/50's, the common tube circuit was called a Phantastron
(really, look it up!).
Phantastron dividers were used in several of the early HP counters (i.e.
HP524B), because you could achieve (for example) a decade divider with a
single tube, whereas a 'binary' solution requires 4 tubes (like in the HP
AC-4A decades).

If a 50% duty cycle is needed, then do a divide by N/2 with a Phantastron,
then a single flip-flop gives you 'N' with a 50% duty.

Note that the Phantastron type divider only works if the input freq is
known and fixed, because the one-shot delay has to be adjusted to a
specific value.

Pete