[time-nuts] Raspberry Pi NTP server

Steven Sommars stevesommarsntp at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 20:02:49 UTC 2020

My RPi4 (Raspbian Buster) has a GPS+PPS/USB.  Serial->USB uses Prolific
PL2303, which supports USB 2.0
The PPS jitter is 1 msec (e.g., using ppstest).  lsusb -v shows:

Bus 001 Device 008: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial
Port
        bInterval               1

which means 1 msec polling of the PPS signal.   I've been unable to poll
more frequently, that seems to require driver changes.
Petr, what polling rate do you see?    Has anyone been able to poll USB @
125  µsec on a stock RPi?

With the 1 ms polling the PPS reaches the OS between 0 and 1 ms late, in an
unpredictable pattern.    Although the PPS jitter is 1 msec, ntpd/chrony on
my RPi4 typically reports low dispersion:  50-150  µsec.  The zero-mean
assumption Achim mentioned is unlikely to be valid. Running chrony +
GPS+PPS/USB I see a ~640µsec offset compared to a GPS+PPS directly
connected to the GPIO pins.  That offset will fluctuate, of course.

Steve Sommars