[time-nuts] IFCS 2020 tutorial - low noise electronics for time/frequency metrology

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Thu Jul 9 22:12:22 UTC 2020

Attila

Another example somewhat similar to the DMTD is the Receiver in a laser DMI (Distance Measuring Interferometer). A photomixer the typical implementation consists of a photomixer (eg photodiode connected between gate and drain of NJFET source follower with boostrapped drain) + linear preamp + manually adjustable gain differential amplifier (eg MC1590) + differential line receiver.
The performance of this signal chain could likely be improved somewhat.
The distance moved is equal to the integral of the change in beat frequency between a pair of orthogonally polarised laser modes. A reference channel with stationary parts provides the frequency difference signal between the 2 modes as produced by the laser. The beat frequency is typically a few MHz (eg ~ 2MHz). Input signal levels at the photomixer are typically a few tens of microwatts (eg 50 uW) or so.

The small signal gain of the BJT differential pair you show is actually 2R/[2*(kT/(e*(I/2)))]  =IR/(2kT/e).

Bruce