[time-nuts] PDIP package 100 MHz decade dividers

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Sat Jul 11 23:04:21 UTC 2020

The 74XX160/74XX162 is the decade divider that runs at maximum
clock rate for the chip.  Meaning no external feedback is
necessary to make it work at divide by 5/10.

The 74XX161/74XX163 can only divide by powers of 2 at maximum
clock rate.  You have to add feedback to divide by 5 and THAT
is what slows it down so much.  Dividing by 10 is even slower
in most logic families.

There is also 74XX190 series.

Rick N6RK