[time-nuts] IFCS 2020 tutorial - low noise electronics for time/frequency metrology

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Jul 22 12:58:42 UTC 2020

Hi

The gotcha is that all X7R tells you is that the temperature dependence of the part
falls inside a certain set of limits. Back many decades ago there were very few formulas
out there to make this or that spec part. Pretty much everybody made a part type with
the same material.

Since the material was the same, you could predict things like RF performance or microphonics
off of the temperature characteristic. The generalization that this or that sort of part would work
as a bypass at this or that frequency held across multiple manufacturers.

As far back as the 80’s this started to change. We would find that this manufacturer produced
an X7R part that simply stopped being a capacitor in the HF region . Just how they
managed that … who knows. Needless to say, sister company or not, off the AVL with them.

Bottom line is that some (most) X7R’s do quite well as RF bypasses up into at least the VHF range.
Some are horrid for microphonic, others are quite good. Testing is your friend in this case. Since
the material (on a specific part) does not change very often, you can check parts out and then
have some confidence in your design.

Bob