[time-nuts] Double balanced mixer question

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Fri Jul 24 17:25:09 UTC 2020

A DBM inherently does harmonic mixing...at no
extra charge :-).  In this case, the third
harmonic of the LO mixes with the RF and
you get 15.0 MHz - 5.000001 MHz = 9.999999 MHz.
This signal be down 20 log N, where N=3, IOW,
-9.5dB.  There is nothing you can do about this
as long as you use a DBM.

As has already been pointed out, an RF analog
multiplier is the only work around.  Depending
on how ideal it is, and how much you back off
the drive level, you will get some amount of
9.999999 MHz, but it should be considerably
less if you play your cards right.

You could also build a frequency tripler to
change 5 MHz into 15 MHz.  That will "eliminate"
the problem to the extent that you filter the
tripler output to eliminate 5 MHz spurs.  There
is no limit to how much suppression you can
get since it's just more filtering.

Rick N6RK