[time-nuts] WWVB PM Time Questions

rcbuck at atcelectronics.com rcbuck at atcelectronics.com
Thu Jul 30 22:15:55 UTC 2020

Rodger,
Thanks for the code and explanation. I will load it into an Arduino and
connect one of my ublox modules to it. When I get the RF front end put
together the emulator should give me a nice signal to look at on the
scope. To feed my own data in I could program a Blue Pill board with a
NEMA string and have it send the string every 60 seconds. I took a quick
look at your code. From what I can see you read a sentence, then send
the data over a 60 second period, delay 150 msec, and wait for the next
sentence to come in. I could have the Blue Pill send the string and then
count 60 pulses from the GPS and send the string again. Rinse and
repeat.

Bob,
I am guessing what they are doing is to simply determine if the phase
has changed since the previous second. That is necessary in order to
extract the time/date information. That way you can get within a couple
of hundred milliseconds of current time. Certainly good enough for a
consumer clock. I have no need for time precision or frequency
calibration.  I already have GPS equipment I have assembled for that
purpose.

Paul,
I know I can purchase the ES100 kit when they become available again.
But I want to do it myself with discrete chips and parts to prove I can
do it. That way I learn something new and kill time (no pun intended) in
the process.

Tom, thanks for the links. Interesting reading.

Ray,
AB7HE