[time-nuts] WWVB PM Time Questions

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Jul 31 00:05:23 UTC 2020

Hi

> On Jul 30, 2020, at 5:11 PM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:
>

>> I'm sure there are a lot of transistors in their IC to handle all the phase
>> tracking and time decoding.
>
> They aren't doing phase tracking, just decoding time data.  All that crap
> about Atomic Time is just advertising BS.
>
> Moore's Law applies to transistors.  It doesn't matter if you use them for
> analog or digital.
>
> There is a wonderful concept: Pad Limited.

How about “dicing limited” ?

Turns out that your silicon wafer always needs to be chopped into pieces. That’s a messy
mechanical process. It really hasn’t changed a lot over decades. A die that’s 1 mm  on a
side is about the smallest economical part. Go smaller and you “saw cut” simply is throwing
away more silicon ….

Bob