[time-nuts] ThunderBolt question

Tom Holmes tholmes at woh.rr.com
Sat Jun 6 01:42:34 UTC 2020

Dana...

I think that you are neglecting two important mitigating factors.

1. the cable loss at 1575MHz, even for a 25' run of RG-6, reduces those
reflections quite a lot from one end to the other.     It amounts to 2 - 3
dB in 25', depending on cable quality.

2. a 1.5:1 SWR is not a very big reflection to begin with, on the order of
20% of the incident power, about  7 dB. I am rounding a lot here just to
keep the math easy...for me.

By the time a reflection has made the round trip from the receiver back to
the antenna and them back to the receiver, which is how the delay would have
to manifest itself, it will be down at least 15 dB from its original self,
and probably more. Given the coding of GPS signals which allows several
satellites to share a common frequency band, that is not going to be much of
a problem. And if only one end of the path actually is 75 ohms, then there
won't be a delayed signal.

Tom Holmes, N8ZM