[time-nuts] ThunderBolt question

Wes wes at triconet.org
Sat Jun 6 14:10:52 UTC 2020

Conventional wisdom says yes to this. I'm not so sure, if the cable is
well-made, but some of the stuff is really garbage.

I'm using RG-6 cable purchased at DX Engineering, mainly because I had a gift
certificate for my last order.  It's quality stuff, but if you're going to use F
connectors be sure they will work with quad-shielded.  I bought some (blue) that
were claimed to work and there was no way in hell that I could get them on.  I
had to buy another batch (purple) that do work.

Regarding mismatches; my recently installed antenna is a PCTEL
GPSL1-TMG-SPI-40NCB.  This is advertised as a "timing" antenna, so I assume
they're worried about timing. The data sheet says the "nominal impedance" is 50
ohm.  But....the VSWR spec is <2.0:1. Of course this antenna has an internal
amplifier (40 dB), whose match to the helix antenna is unknown but I'm guessing
it's for NF optimization.  So is the spec the nominal output Z (s21) of the
internal amplifier or is it the load the amplifier needs to be presented with to
deliver advertised gain?  Who knows?  Either way, my 75 ohm coax is within limits.

Wes  N7WS