[time-nuts] ThunderBolt question

Dana Whitlow k8yumdoober at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 15:49:57 UTC 2020

Wes, it sounds like you're in pretty good shape with one thing that
concerns me.
Unless your transmission line is long enough to have substantial loss, that
40 dB
gain figure seems awfully high and you may find yourself overloading the
front
end of your receiver.

Most modern receivers are sensitive enough to do just fine with no antenna
LNA
at all, in the absence of line loss.   I remember reading a note from
Garmin on this
topic years ago when they were recommending no more than about 15 dB net
gain
between the antenna and the receiver.

With your receiver and 40 dB antenna, even if it seems to work well now,
beware of
Ligado!  If/when they go on the air near you, you may find yourself needing
an
attenuator.

Dana