[time-nuts] Problems with Lady Heather and Asus Aspire A515-55 laptop with an HP 58503A GPS receiver

Dr. David Kirkby drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Sun Jun 7 14:38:36 UTC 2020

 I'm trying to run Lady Heather on an Asus Aspire A515-55 laptop with an HP
58503A GPS receiver and a Keyspan USA-19HS serial adapter. The laptop has
an i5-1035G1 CPU running at 1 GHz with 8 GB RAM. The GPS receiver is
configured at the default 9600/8/N/1. The serial port is COM3 - don't ask
me why Windows picks COM3, but it does.

If I just start Lady Heather, with no options or configuration file, it
defaults to COM1 and shows the time from the real-time clock in the laptop.
If I then press "/3 /rx" the program works out the receiver is scpi, gets
the date and time, but then the second-hand runs anti-clockwise for about 4
seconds, then stops. Lady Heather then shows as "not responding". About the
only information Lady Heater has got from the receiver is the data and time
- it does not get latitude, longitude, information about satellites being
tracked etc.

This particular serial adapter is quite a good one, and useful for
controlling industrial items, which I know some of the cheap ones do not. I
can use it on Solaris to communicate with the receiver, as well as on
Windows using Putty.

A couple of things to note is my local time is one hour ahead of UTC and I
have no configuration file - I am just using the command line arguments /3
/rx.

Any suggestions?

Dr David Kirkby Ph.D C.Eng MIET
Email: drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk Web:
https://www.kirkbymicrowave.co.uk/
Kirkby Microwave Ltd (Tel 01621-680100 / +44 1621-680100)
Stokes Hall Lodge, Burnham Rd, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3 6DT.