[time-nuts] Turn Dynamic Systems FSA3011A timelab setup

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Sat Jun 13 20:48:43 UTC 2020

Bill,

I have some info on the FSA3011 here:

http://leapsecond.com/pages/FSA3011/

It's self-powered over USB; no device configuration or switches; your PC
will recognize it as an FTDI virtual serial port. The data rate is
115200 baud. It quietly calibrates for a minute and then spits out phase
differences once a second. AFAIK it's a talk-only device so very easy to
use.

You can either record the data with a serial terminal program and then
use TimeLab's "acquire from live ASCII file" input mode. Or you can
configure TimeLab to read the serial port directly. Set data type to
"unwrapped phase difference" and sampling interval to 1 second.

Note that although it says "0 to 100 MHz" what that actually means is
only inputs that are exactly 100/n MHz. So your REF and DUT need to be
100 MHz or 50 MHz or 33.33333333 MHz or 25 MHz or 20 MHz or 10 MHz or 5
MHz or 2.5 MHz, etc. Also, in my experience it won't lock if either the
REF or the DUT frequency is inaccurate.

Let me know if how yours works. I've had nothing but trouble here with
the FSA3011.

/tvb