[time-nuts] Is there any way to recover if one messes up serial port on settings on HP GPS receivers?

Dr. David Kirkby drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Wed Jun 17 11:55:07 UTC 2020

My HP 58503A is using the default 9600 8N1 for serial communication. It
would be nice to run the connection faster, and there are commands to
change the serial port speed, as well as reset the serial port settings to
the defaults. What concerns me is that if I try to run the serial port
faster, but have problems communicating with the receiver for whatever
reason, then there will be no way to reset the receiver - I could not run
the command to reset it. There's not an easily accessible "reset to factory
defaults" button on the receiver like there is on many devices. It seems
like one could get into a catch-22 situation, but perhaps there's a
solution I am unaware of.

Dave