[time-nuts] Frequency division by 81

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Jun 19 00:16:53 UTC 2020

Hi

The gotcha is that the “HC” logic families have pretty high broadband noise floors compared to newer parts.
At 20 log (N), divide by 81 gets you about 38 db of phase noise improvement. If you started off at -130 dbc/Hz,
you come out at -168 dbc / Hz. That (of course) assumes you don’t hit this or that floor first.

Agin, with limited information from the OP, it’s tough to work out just what the limits would actually be. ( what is the
starting frequency?, what phase noise offsets mater? …..)

Bob