[time-nuts] Vibration isolation of quartz oscillators

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Sat Jun 27 17:19:51 UTC 2020

On 6/27/2020 5:48 AM, Gerhard Hoffmann wrote:

> Am 27.06.20 um 14:02 schrieb Michael Wouters:
>>
>> What do other people do with their quartzes ? I thought I should ask
>> for some advice before attempting measurements.
>
> A sand box? Literally? Some bags filled with sand really helped
>
> with my turntable. Make sure that it stays in the bags.
>

> Gerhard

There was a turntable stand with the creative
name "lead balloon" that worked like your sand
box (I actually don't know what substance the
"lead" balloon used for ballast).

You might also consider locating the oscillator
in your garage/basement on the concrete.  The
ideal setup is to pour concrete for a "floor
safe" sort of container and then mount the
oscillator inside the container below ground
level.  For the advanced user, dig a 5 foot
deep hole with a post hole digger than put
in a pipe with the oscillator at the bottom.
As a free bonus, you will get temperature
stabilization.

Rick N6RK