[time-nuts] Vibration isolation of quartz oscillators

Wes wes at triconet.org
Sun Jun 28 23:52:08 UTC 2020

In my youth I worked for a time in my dad's automotive machine shop.  We did a
lot of work on medium-sized industrial engines, Cummins V-12s, GMC V16-71s,
International TD-24s, etc. To handle these we bought a Van Norman crankshaft
grinder, a sizable machine, which I operated.  The shop was in downtown Tucson,
right across the street from the (then) Southern Pacific Railroad tracks.

The grinder was originally installed right on the 6" thick concrete slab floor.
It wasn't long before I noticed that if I was grinding a journal when a trail
rumbled by I got runout and had to pause grinding until the train passed  We
wound up moving the machine and digging a hole about 2-3 meters deep and about 2
by 3 meters "square", lining it with fiberboard and filling it up with concrete
and reinstalling the machine on top.

About two years ago that building was demolished as part of a "modernization" of
downtown (it's still a vacant lot) and I wondered how surprised they were when
they went to remove the slab.

Wes  N7WS