[time-nuts] WWVB teensy BPSK early experiments

John C. Westmoreland, P.E. john at westmorelandengineering.com
Tue Nov 3 00:59:54 UTC 2020

Hello Time Nuts,

I have a question -

Has anyone been successful getting WWVB to decode using the example for
DCF77 and making the changes for WWVB?

Chris has his own approach - it's interesting - but on my setup at least I
haven't been successful with it - maybe it's my antenna - not sure just yet.
Also - my screen eventually 'whites-out' after running that for a while -
meaning - the screen goes completely white and I don't know what's doing
that yet - I suppose it's a bug of some sort.

But, with the DCF77 approach - it appears to identify bits OK - with the
code having only minimal changes - so I'd like to go down that path.

Note - I have a fork here - but it's debug - and not sure it's worth
anything other than looking at some of the data that's being dumped.
https://github.com/jwestmoreland/Teensy-DCF77

For DC7FF - the AM is just 0.2ms (1) and 0.1ms (0) with no AM at the minute
marker, but WWVB is a little more complicated -
0.2ms (0), 0.5ms (1), and 0.8 ms (Marker) - 2 consecutive markers mark the
end of current minute/beginning of next minute.

The DCF77 code seems to take some advantage of the signal level/timing and
the dimensions of the TFT display for
displaying the signaling - at least that's what it appears to me right now
unless I'm looking at this wrong - I guess that isn't
a big deal until you try to deal with the marker timing for WWVB - of
course I could be looking at this wrong right now too.

Maybe trying something like the Goertzel algorithm like KE9NS has done in
his work with WWV is worth taking a look at too with
this setup.

73's,
John
AJ6BC