[time-nuts] Efratom M100 Found on Ramco auction site.

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Nov 3 02:22:30 UTC 2020

Hi

Even back in the era that the M100 was a brand new on the market sort of device,
if you talked to the Efratom repair guys, they rarely saw lamp issues. This *was*
back when things got repaired. Their guess was that only 1 in 10 returned units
had an issue with the optical chain.

Heatsinking (or lack there of) *is* a good way to kill off an Rb early. Again, it’s not
the physics package that goes. It’s some fiddly little part on one of the support boards.
Raise the temp enough and you nuke the MTBF.

Indeed there are exceptions. I have a pile of parts (bought cheap) that all left the
factory with 80 (yes 80) C 1,000 hour caps in it. Where in the world you even get
those is unclear to me. Needless to say, replace those caps and most of the Rb’s
come back to life.

Bob