[time-nuts] Flicker Noise Reduction

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Wed Nov 18 23:38:58 UTC 2020

On Wed, 18 Nov 2020 19:13:00 +0000 (UTC)
Bruce Hunter via time-nuts <time-nuts at lists.febo.com> wrote:

> Can anyone who subscribes to these transactions report on this?  I dropped my subscription.
> In this letter, a novel 1/f noise mitigation technique is presented to improve the receiver 1/f noise performance of a 670 GHz receiver.

The paper in question is:
"A Novel 1/f Noise Mitigation Technique Applied to a 670 GHz Receiver",
by Ogut et al.
https://doi.org/10.1109/TTHZ.2020.3036179

The description is extremely vague, but I think what they are doing
is modulating the gain of the first LNA stage in an amplifier chain
to get information on the total gain of the chain and correct for it.
Which would make it basically a fancy chopper-amplifier that operates
on the gain instead of the offset voltage.

			Attila Kinali

--
The driving force behind research is the question: "Why?"
There are things we don't understand and things we always