[time-nuts] Flicker Noise Reduction

Gerhard Hoffmann ghf at hoffmann-hochfrequenz.de
Thu Nov 19 00:52:06 UTC 2020

There is a paper from the univ of Twente in NL that
seems to indicate that it takes some time in an open
FET until the traps in the channel build up, so switching
the FET off in a regular way might be an advantage.
I stumbled across it when I was seeking input for my
ultra-low-noise chopper amplifiers.

Gerhard

Am 19.11.20 um 00:38 schrieb Attila Kinali:
> On Wed, 18 Nov 2020 19:13:00 +0000 (UTC) Bruce Hunter via time-nuts
> <time-nuts at lists.febo.com> wrote:
>> Can anyone who subscribes to these transactions report on this?  I
>> dropped my subscription. In this letter, a novel 1/f noise mitigation
>> technique is presented to improve the receiver 1/f noise performance
>> of a 670 GHz receiver.
> The paper in question is: "A Novel 1/f Noise Mitigation Technique
> Applied to a 670 GHz Receiver", by Ogut et al.
> https://doi.org/10.1109/TTHZ.2020.3036179 The description is extremely
> vague, but I think what they are doing is modulating the gain of the
> first LNA stage in an amplifier chain to get information on the total
> gain of the chain and correct for it. Which would make it basically a
> fancy chopper-amplifier that operates on the gain instead of the
> offset voltage. Attila Kinali
"I have some vague idea that I could place behind the IEEE wall of shame.
I won't work on it in the foreseeable future, but it may give me precedence
if it turns out to be usable and I can count it as a publication, even
if no one
will read it."

cheers, Gerhard