[time-nuts] EOL Motorola Oncore Remote Antenna

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 30 23:08:06 UTC 2020

On 11/30/20 1:22 PM, Art Sepin wrote:

>> To me it looks more like water ingress through micro-cracks in the
>>   plastic-dome, and the O-ring did its job and kept that water in.
>
> Interesting. That's the first we've heard about micro-cracks in the Radome but that's certainly a likely possibility with such a long exposure to U/V. The more common failure mode reported was moisture ingress due to "breathing;" the uptake of moisture laden air past the O-Ring, due to a small pressure differential. But, once the moisture was inside, it was also trapped internally by the O-Ring. This condition was reported more often in geographic areas that experienced a wide variation in barometric pressures.
>
> Art

I'll bet pressure changes inside the "sealed" radome due to temperature
changes are bigger than those due to local barometer changes.

But an interesting thing - water vapor will go through cracks, porosity,
that liquid water will not. The commercial success of GoreTex is an
example of this, but cracks, o-rings that aren't quite right, etc. are
also ways it can happen.

Making a truly hermetic box is hard.