[time-nuts] Assistance needed to understand some V_OCXO stability concepts.

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Fri Oct 2 10:17:53 UTC 2020

Joe,

The 00105 oscillator was used in early hp 105 quartz frequency
standards. So the specifications, theory of operation, photos and
schematics for the 00105 "brick" oscillator are all in the hp 105 op/svc
manual (April 1968).

There are two copies on Didier's site. Go to
http://www.ko4bb.com/manuals/ and type 105ab into the search box.

The EFC+ and EFC- inputs are a little different from a modern OCXO. The
hp105 provides a rear EFC input that works from -5 V to +5 V and changes
df/f by "greater than 4e-8" over that range. [1] So that would be 4e9 /
V which at 5 MHz is 0.02 Hz / V. Check the schematics for how they
implement it; the manual provides all the details. It may be an example
for your GPSDO. Your 0.033 number sounds ok to me.

In general, as you have done, it's always best to measure rather than
read the manual, especially since the manual uses the word "greater
than", and also since some of these 00105 oscillators are approaching 50
years old. If you have a frequency counter it should be simple to
measure the frequency during a voltage sweep, make a plot, and determine
the range, the slope, and also the linearity. The nice thing about EFC
experiments is that you don't even have to wait for the oscillator to
fully stabilize.

/tvb

[1] EFC paragraph from page 2-4 of hp 105 manual (02479-1)