[time-nuts] Spectracom 8161 "Standard Frequency Receiver - Oscillator" for WWVB (and question...)

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Oct 5 14:18:09 UTC 2020

Hi

The height of the ionosphere changes night to day. That changes the effective
propagation distance. As the day/night (or night/day) transition point crosses the
path between you and WWVB the two “modes” compete with each other. They
can do fun stuff like cancel out the signal entirely.

If you watch the 60 KHz on a ’scope as all this goes on, the “slip” is enough to
make it unclear which edge is which. ( = it slips a large fraction of / more than one
cycle). At 60 KHz, one cycle of slip gets you 16.7 us.

Indeed, just how much trouble you have depends a lot on where you are. In downtown
Ft Collins, I doubt you see much slip at all :). Here on the east coast, you see cycles.
Even back in Kansas things got pretty crazy and that’s not a super long path sort of thing.

Our normal approach with WWVB was to check it at some specific time of day. You only
“used” the data after it had made sense for at least three days running. For anything
important,  the target was five days running.

Loran-C was a better alternative back then, if keeping your reference on frequency
was the objective. Even with Loran, I would typically use more than one day’s worth of
observations ….

Bob