[time-nuts] Spectracom 8161 "Standard Frequency Receiver - Oscillator" for WWVB (and question...)

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Oct 5 16:22:49 UTC 2020

Hi

You *are* talking about a 60 KHz sine wave when playing with WWVB. The
typical receiver had a fairly narrow passband. This generally was accomplished
with both high Q tuned circuits and a crystal filter. The typical antenna loop antenna
also had a fairly high Q tune on it. Even if the signal was perfect, the receiving
setup would have struggled once you got into the small fractions of a cycle sort of
region ….

For that matter, the matching network at the base of each of the transmit antennas
has some pretty big tuned elements in it. They most certainly “chug” around any
time the “breeze” blows in Colorado ( = most of the time …. :) ).

Propagation at 60 KHz is also impacted by the weather. Push a cold front with a
bunch of thunderheads into the path and you get a blip in the delay. Lots of other
things get into that mix as well.

Lots of variables …..

Bob