[time-nuts] David Allan amusing notes on ADEV, MDEV, TDEV etc.

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Wed Oct 7 10:05:54 UTC 2020

Hi,

I found this little text that may be an amusing read on how ADEV and
MDEV came to be among other things.

https://ethw.org/w/images/5/5f/Allan_OH_-_MVAR_TVAR_and_OptimumPrediction.pdf

The Lighthill book is very important little thing, which few seems to
know. It works on Fourier transform quite differently than any
other book on Fourier transforms I've seen. It is not meant as a strict
book, but a book to help students on their way, and it did help Jim and
Dave in their studies for sure.

Similarly the Snyder pre-cursor to MDEV seems to be read by few. It
provides the necessary sqrt(N) improvement as achieved with overlapping
frequency estimations.

Cheers,
Magnus