[time-nuts] Experiment in lowering the TAPR TICC noise floor

Matthias Welwarsky time-nuts at welwarsky.de
Wed Oct 7 16:34:00 UTC 2020

Hi John,

the noise is likely not white, but it really depends on what is the dominant
noise source in the system. I guess there is some correlation but still enough
entropy to make a difference. I'll try with different cable lengths next to
see if it makes a measureable difference, but ideally you'd use two TICCs and
two non-coherent reference clocks. But they'd need to be somehow frequency
locked.. You'd need some mechanism that causes enough jitter to break the
correlation. A delay line controlled by some noise source?

On Dienstag, 6. Oktober 2020 21:24:07 CEST John Ackermann N8UR wrote:
> That's very interesting, Matthias!  The lower noise floor intuitively
> and the sqrt(2) improvement comes to mind, except that would apply only
> if the two measurements were uncorrelated.  Here, you have a common 10
> MHz reference, so there's correlation.
>
> But... the high-speed ring counters inside the two TDC7200 chips are
> free-running and independent, so when looking at picoseconds, maybe the
> non-correlation requirement is met, at least to some extent.

For the next run I'll have a look at the individual result registers. The
entropy source is maybe identifiable this way. Either the time1 results is
already random enough, or the cal1 and cal2. A cross-correlation between the
raw register readings between the two channels might reveal something.

I expect to find a high correlation between the time1 results of the two
channels, and no correlation for cal1/cal2.