[time-nuts] WWVB Dephaser Question

rcbuck at atcelectronics.com rcbuck at atcelectronics.com
Fri Oct 9 03:58:33 UTC 2020

Paul and Bob,

Thanks for the comments. I figured I wouldn't be able to get a 60 kHz
signal anywhere near a WWVB receiver. I just wondered how bad the signal
leakage from the divider IC would actually be. It is at a 5V logic level
but I don't know if that means 5V of signal radiation.

I was trying to come up with a simple way (2 or 3 IC solution) to detect
the phase changes to decode the time data. I'm not interested in using
the signal for frequency measuring purposes. Doubling to 120 kHz doesn't
work for detecting the phase change because the change disappears.

I've looked at the block diagram of the ES100 module for hints. They are
doing something that doesn't require a lot of  processing power as they
are running the processor at 16 MHz. I guess the processor could have a
PLL in it to increase the CPU clock speed. Somehow they are using that
16 MHz as part of the demodulation scheme. They show the ADC and
oscillator feeding into a demodulator block. But 60 kHz isn't an integer
divider into 16,000,000.

Paul, so far I only have 5 or 6 boards but I'm sure I will have more as
I continue testing. I'm in Phoenix so the WWVB signal is fairly strong
here. The WWVB coverage maps show the signal as being 1mV during the
day. I know my wrist watch will synchronize during the day when I
replace the batteries.

Ray