[time-nuts] WWVB Dephaser Question

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 13:46:03 UTC 2020

Seriously nice 1mv yikes! Big antenna. I used the small loop antenna
some2-3 ft diameter. In Ma. that always was something like 10-30uv during
the day. Now with a 10' per side square loop its a solid 60-200uv per day.
Night always goes way up even to the 1mv and higher level.
I am also challenged often by MSF out of England. It can easily
override wwvb.
The antenna has about 800Ft of wire. Its actually made of shielded ribbon
cable with preamp and line driver. Really no magic. Transistors are 2n3904s
Cheap cause lightning likes them for lunch. The antenna is 140' from the
house so no real leakage issues.
You arr right your leakage is not 5V. Really really hard to say what it
would be. But much of the noise would actually travel down the coax to the
antenna. What I do know is that in experimenting on occasion there was
enough leakage to upset things.
The simple 2-3 devices never worked worth a darn out here and I tried all
of them. Simple is a good way to design, but not in New England. For you I
would follow the max carter approach. Yes you have to hack the receiver but
its simple.
I hate hacking these beautiful receivers so thats why the dpskr exists. I
wanted the receivers to work like they used to without unique hacks for
each one. The latest dpskr has 11 outputs. Hard to believe I have used most
already.
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL